Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Personal Experience With The Mental Health System

My Personal Experience With The Mental Health System




What follows is my trek into senselessness with the help of so - called mental health professionals. Keep in mind these events took zone in Massachusetts. You will find this story quite amusing, and yet undeniably disturbing.

In the early to mid - 1990s, I mentioned to my PCP that I was experiencing tumult with my remembrance. He in turn, verbal Has anyone ever talked to you about Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. I was quickly referred to a psychiatrist. I told the doctor what my PCP spoken. This psychiatrist immediately offered me a prescription for Ritalin. There was no discussion regarding symptoms or tests of any sympathetic. It was tidily this way: If the Ritalin helps you then well know you have ADD. I reciprocal for my next appointment telling him that the Ritalin was not working. The doctor put me on bounteous impulse called Dexedrine. That did not work, so he prescribed some other motive that I cannot recall.

At this point, I told the doctor that I was getting anxiety, so he prescribed Zyprexa. This was when it was first put on the market. I was also given a referral to a psychologist. My conversations with this psychologist focused on what I had done the previous week and how my medications were working. This went on for several years. Diddly was accomplished therapeutically. I epigram some of her notes in my medical records. My mother did psychic readings for entertainment. Based on this information, my psychologist stated that my mother ran a cult. Blonde also stated that I was sexually abused. This never happened. There was an entry in my inscribe that spoken my father was not in my life in that he had moved out - of - state. My father moved when I was in my mid - twenties, and he called me ofttimes. This is all ultra absurd.

Getting back to my medications, I told my new psychiatrist that I was pain depressed. He put me on Paxil, with no questions asked. I went back to him three times. Each time he would utter It always works, and he would increase the dosage at each visit. Sequential I was put on all of the SSRIs, homologous Zoloft, Paxil and Celexa, as well as Wellbutrin. My PCP prescribed an anti - depressant called Pamelor. It was not the best choice of medication for me in terms of side effects.

This psychiatric treatment escalated as time went on. It went from bad to worse. At some point, I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, and alarm attacks. Some of the doctors would add psychosis to my diagnosis. I asked one doctor if nymph would put me on Amantadine ( I conceive it is an anti - viral medication ) in that I study on the Internet that the Borna Virus caused Bipolar Disorder. I was desperate to escape this disease. Mademoiselle consented ( for no reason ), and a week next I was in the hospital for several days with severe hallucinations. This was at number one ten years ago.

One psychiatrist put me on Klonopin for my anxiety. I was quite sedated on it. I told him it wasnt working. I presuppose my doctor oral - I can give you three milligrams three times a day ( no quote for this one ). He verbal, Thats the best I can do. Not surprisingly, I got into a car business. I never attributed the Klonopin to my sedation. I thought I was always tired due to want of sleep from stress.

I went through every possible psychiatric medication on the market, including Depakote, Trileptal, and Seroquel ( which gave me severe hallucinations ). They also put me on all the second reproduction antipsychotics. There was one psychologist who asked me to experience neuropsychological testing. His conclusion was that I had Asperger ' s Syndrome. That diagnosis was sequential refuted by deeper Psychiatrist.

I spent ten years outpatient at a well - known mental health hospital beginning in approximately, 2000. The medication at-home far-off with the four dweller doctors assigned to me. I even took medications for my supposed recollection deficits. I was prescribed Namenda ( as part of a study ), Mirapex, and Excelon ( at any earlier time ). For the most part, I was kept on a regime of Lamcital 300mg, Lithium ER 1350 mg, and Risperdal at various milligrams. At about five years into my treatment, I began to complain to my doctor about tremors and restlessness. The doctor I was seeing called it Akathesia. Nymphet prescribed Inderal 80mg, fairly than take me off the Risperdal.

I was on Ativian with one of my doctors. Once and, I told the doctor that I was motility tired while driving. He prescribed Adderall to keep me perceptive during the day at my suggestion. I was eventually arrested for operating below the influence of drugs. This was sequential reduced to reckless driving. The only thing that my doctor had to affirm is, I could have gotten sued.

It has gotten to the point that I can no longer use a pen to even sign my name. A neurologist diagnosed me with Tardive Dystonia. Babe insisted that I go on a low dose of a tranquilizer / anti - convulsant medication, as my only option. It does not affect my driving or give me sedation, but neither it does it help my nature.

My current psychiatrist stated in my medical records that the Risperdal contributed to my Dystonia... in those very words. I was taken off my Risperdal partly five months ago. I endure the alike as when I went on it, which stereotyped means that I didnt need it. Damsel also lowered my Lithium. The medical director asked me if I knew that I was on three vein stabilizers. Lassie asked me if I knew why I was on Risperdal. I replied that did not know. I memorize two of my tenant physicians at the hospital I was being treated ask me that twin question. It is in my medical records.

The trouble I can see in filing a complaint against the psychiatrists with the Board of Medicine, is that the doctors can tidily imply, based on my behavior at the time, they had justification in the gangling use of the drugs they were prescribing me. I am partial in the spiritual as literally millions of people are in this country. That must have been a complication for them. Its interesting that I have been in inwardness with dozens of people who payoff my beliefs. These people I am language of are originative members of society, and they are set all told acute. Its true I had debt and a spending predicament. I wonder how many people are in debt, and have not been diagnosed with Bipolar Nuisance? The country is 17 trillion dollars in debt for that account. I went to Debtors Faraway years ago, and I have not taken out a loan or credit place in three years.

I punch in an unorthodox refuge, which is a popular religion in many parts of the United States. Their main focus is the use of mediumship to lock on the continuity of life after death. This organization has hundreds of members who receive messages from the deceased and chase them to their loved ones. Im uncertainty why all of these people have not been diagnosed with mental malady. Just owing to, one does not accept allied beliefs, does not give justification for creating a psychiatric matter. Is talk of the supernatural enough of a inducement to categorize me as having a cuckoo disorder? Am I any different those famous thought mediums who roused millions of books? I mean besides the detail that I havent lured millions of books.

This is what happens in the mental health system. You are even now concrete of your insanity by the first mental health trained. In your visit with a new psychiatrist, you tell him or her, what you take it is goofed with you. The doctor agrees with you, and has you answer a number of questions on paper having to do with your behavior, thinking, and symptoms. As you as the patient present-day know your diagnosis, you add answers that support your belief in this diagnosis. At the end of the meet, the psychiatrist gives you medications to treat the supposed malady. In subsequent visits, you keep the psychiatrist with information, about what you regard to be bizarre thinking, and, in consequence, related to your disorder. The psychiatrist then documents this self - reported information in your document as evidence of your mental infection. If you stir on to larger psychiatrist, he or maiden merely accepts the diagnosis of the previous treating physician and continues on with that medication routine.

Sometimes I fondle consistent am a really normal person with a unique personality just equivalent everyone new. The experiments I endured at the hands of the mental health professionals have set me back. I observe as if I have gone fifteen years of my life. I observe especially cheated by the psychiatrists who treated me at the mental health hospital I was a patient at for the elapsed ten years or so. These so - called medical professionals had me think all of this nonsense for years. I do take can for allowing them to do this to me.

I admit that psychiatry is routine one of the most unrewarding medical specialties since their patients regularly dislike them. Still, Im confident there are decent, exceptional, competent, and well - intentioned medical doctors working in the mental health field. Its just that I have only encountered the ones who should not be practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment